‘Eyes Half Shut’ is BECTU’s campaign on long hours in the Film & TV industry.
In 2017, the union commissioned some research into the culture of long hours & its effect on the health, well-being & productivity of workers in the industry. The results probably comes as no surprise, considering most of us have at least one horror story about the effects of tiredness as a result of working long hours – but the extent of the problem is fully revealed in the report, which you can download here.
How you can get involved:
- Sign & share the petition calling on producers to work with the union to bring an end to the long-hours culture.
- Fill in the survey to help the union understand what aspects of working long hours affect you the most.
- Follow the ‘Eyes Half Shut’ Facebook page to stay updated on the campaign.
The Camera Branch also wants to collect your stories about working long hours with a view to publishing them (anonymously!) during a week of campaigning we’re planning in the lead-up to the AGM on 9th June. Please share your story with us in the box below. We’ll assume you’re ok with us publishing it – and don’t worry, we won’t be tagging it with your name…
- ‘Who Needs Sleep?’ – If you haven’t seen the 2006 documentary by legendary DoP Haskell Wexler ASC, it’s well worth watching – find it online here.
- ‘Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams’ by Matthew Walker is an up-to-date & compelling argument for the importance of getting enough sleep. Review here – available from your usual bookshop.